Wednesday, May 13, 2009

This is a problem...

There is a seven hour difference between home and Greece, meaning there is the potential for some serious jet lag should one be sensitive to it. Well, I have always had trouble falling asleep, it doesn't matter what country or time zone I'm in. Usually, though, on my last trips abroad, I have gotten accustomed to the difference pretty quickly. Well that does not seem to be the case for this trip. Last night, after finising up some homework around 1:00 a.m., I turned off the computer and attempted to go to sleep. Two and a half hours later, after tossing and turning and a serious build-up of frustration, I reached for my computer once again, as the sleep was not coming. Eventually, a little after 4:00 I finally fell asleep, but let's just say I'm glad we had an easy day because I'm only going on 4 hours of sleep. Darn time change...

I had a really great night, though! Sticking to true Greek tradition, a few of us went to dinner around 9:00 p.m. at a cute taverna a little ways from our hotel. The manager stopped us in the middle of the street and promised free drinks and dessert, so we stopped and sat down. Nat and I ordered Greek salads and fried cheese (that was for you, Melissa!). The salad consisted of some chopped vegetables with a slab of feta on top, so that was a bit of a disappointment. I ate the cucumbers though. As for the fried cheese, well...it was interesting. It kind of looked like pizza without sauce or crust.


I also had my first sips of wine while at dinner tonight! It was...alright. Haha, I didn't have much, but hey, maybe there's a hope for me there somewhere. After dinner, we went searching for more gelato, so that made two servings yesterday. Lovely Emily...


After class this afternoon, we stopped at a cheap and delicious sandwich window for lunch and then headed for the tram to the beach! It was some of the most perfect beach weather I've ever experienced! Definitely warm but with enough of a breeze to keep you from being miserably hot and not a cloud in the sky. The beach itself was a bit of an experience, what with the young Greek boys playing soccer and paddle ball all around our towels and kicking sand and rocks up everywhere. They didn't have one ounce of concern that they were totally up in our space! The weather made up for it, though. We stayed a few hours and then headed back to shower.


I think we may go to an Asian flare type restaurant for dinner tonight, which I am very excited about. Then I'm hopefully just going to take it easy and maybe catch up on some homework. And tonight? Oh let's all just pray I can overcome the vicious time change. Grr..

No comments:

Post a Comment