Sunday, June 14, 2009

Gooey Goodness

Hello Sunday Sweet Spotters!


I found a real treat this week. It's definitely a must-try for chocolate lovers! Here's the recipe: Paula Deen's Double Chocolate Gooey Butter Cakes...and boy are they chocolately...and gooey...and buttery. Yum!!


These cake-meets-brownie treats are quite an interesting concoction: the bottom is very dense, made of just cake mix, melted butter, and an egg. It's almost like a chewy crust in the finished result. Here's the first layer after I molded it into the pan:



Lovely fingerprints, eh? :) Atop this bottom layer lies the real tastiness: the "gooeyness," if you will. Let me point out that this upper portion alone contained a whole stick of butter, huge slab of cream cheese, and entire box of powdered sugar. So yes, it was delicious. The mixing process:


Hurray for powdered sugar mess! So worth it though. It bakes for about 40 minutes, and be warned: the toothpick test is not a good indicator of doneness in this case. The key is to keep the gooey consistency the toothpick usually helps us to avoid. Trust me, it's better that way.

Good grief this recipe was so good. I actually had two servings because I just couldn't help myself! Slap my finger I know. I strongly recommend this little gem from Paula, though. It's a new fave of my own.


Prior to the deliciousness that was dessert, I also tried my hand at a bit more cooking in the kitchen. After dragging my poor mother on a serious marathon trip through Walmart this afternoon, I felt I owed it to her and the pops to create a lovely dinner in addition to the weekly Sunday yummy. I whipped out a recipe I've been wanting to try for years now, Giada's Penne with Spinach Sauce. It turned out pretty well, though the goat cheese in the sauce gave an unexpected twang I'm not sure I absolutely loved. Look how pretty the color was though!

I served the pasta with zucchini and squash that I coated in Jiffy cornbread mix and sauteed in olive oil. The veggies were a definite hit, and I will be making them again. So, all in all, I'd say Sunday night dinner and dessert=success. Thank you Food Network.

In other news, I realize it has been a couple of days since my last post, and I will go ahead and warn that there may be a small absence in the future as well. The culprit? Redeeming Love. Amazing. Inspiring. Thought-provoking. And an incredible reminder of just how much God loves us and how far He will go to let us know that. I absolutely can not put it down, and I'm sure it will not be too much longer until it's complete.

I'm off to immerse myself in its pages once again! No munchkins for me tomorrow! My alarm is turned off...

No comments:

Post a Comment