Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Need a Cheap Treat?

In a bit of a hurry? Just remember you were supposed to take a dish to that cookout tonight? Totally broke and have to go to the expensive grocery store because it's the closest to your house?

Yes? Whew, yeah, me too!

After class tonight I ventured to a cookout at a friend's house where I got to see all my old high school buddies and indulge in the traditional summer picnic fare...both of which are my favorite. Unfortunately, I realized I still hadn't done anything about that side dish or dessert I was supposed to bring until late this afternoon, and my kitchen stores are extremely slim.

Thankfully, I quickly thought back to a delicious dessert displayed at our neighborhood pool's 4th of July picnic on Saturday...the peanut butter cup cookie. They were truly delicious, and I remember wanting to imitate the recipe at some point in the future. Well today was the day!

They are so easy, and relatively cheap too, considering there are only two ingredients. I suppose you could create a fancy homemade peanut butter cookie dough, but I used a nice refrigerated roll a la Pillsbury, and it worked wonderfully. Start by molding bits of dough into the wells of a mini muffin tin, bake them up (it will probably take even less time than the package calls for), and when they come out of the oven, pop a mini peanut butter cup in the middle!

That's all there is to it! They aren't wildly inventive, and they sure aren't impressively complicated, but they are homemade and they are delicious. A guaranteed crowd-pleaser. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment