Saturday, October 10, 2009

Happy Birthday! Love, The Dragon...

Happy 21st to the Benjamin! He's all grown up now...kind of scary I must admit. Mainly on account of the fact that I myself will be hitting real-life adulthood in only two months from now. Weird. Strange. I don't like it.

Regardless of my fear of growing up however, I still had to help the Benjamin celebrate his special day! We had a nice line-up of events planned...some of which worked out great, others...well, not so much. There's still more to come, though! Allow me to explain...

Breakfast is probably my favorite meal of the day, unless you count dessert as a meal that is, in which case breakfast would definitely round in at a close second. But still, a big, yummy, calorie-filled morning meal is my favorite. Thankfully, the Benjamin agrees, so I thought I'd make him a nice breakfast for his b-day this morning. It was quite delicious, too. As a tribute to manlihood in general, I chose a Cheese and Sausage Breakfast Casserole to start. It was almost too manly for myself, but he loved it, and that's all that matters. Came out looking tasty, though...



And I always find it necessary to address the fact that completely dessert-esque sweets are totally acceptable when it comes to breakfast food, which is where these super-easy and super-delicious canned biscuit donuts come in...


Just fry them up, toss in some powdered sugar, and add to a heaping plate of pure greasy protein, and you have one happy camper...

I made him do the cheesy thumbs-up deal...don't judge. So, wonderful, part one of birthday celebration festivities complete. Part two? Well, it was supposed to be a lovely fall hike through the mountains of western North Carolina. That is, until we encountered The Dragon...



Ok, so I've heard of this...The Dragon...a.k.a. the most deathly stretch of road in like the entire United States. It is indeed 318 curves in 11 miles...though it seems like so much more than 11 miles, my goodness. Well, we were just cruising along, following the Mapquest directions, looking forward to our leisurely stroll through brisk temperatures and gorgeous leaves, when bam, vomit-fest in the rain begins. And then continues to proceed for like half an hour. Wow, I have never been so carsick in my life, and I'm not sure the Benjamin's sweet little Civic has ever been so nervous and exhausted in his life either. It was quite intense.

We did survive, thank goodness (which the Benjamin really wanted to commemorate with a tourist-trap t-shirt, but I was too nauseas to agree). Unfortunately, though, at this point we were both kind of dreading hiking 6.8 miles and then having to re-visit The Dragon. Add that lack of enthusiasm to our terribly difficult time finding the trail head, and well, you can guess what happened...no hike in the cards for today.

We did suck it up and keep going long enough to at least run into Fontana Dam, the second largest dam in the country, behind Hoover of course. We both donned our most positive (and nerdy) faces and actually had a great time just exploring the dam and surrounding lake area. We took some fun pictures, ooed and ahhed over the beautiful views, and even had some spitting contests off the side of the dam before calling it a day.

You know what? I'm pretty sure 6.8 miles would have put me in a bad mood anyway. Especially since I so ingeniously left my packed lunch sitting on the counter this morning. Oops! We conquered the dragon a second time, avoiding all of these whipping around the switchbacks...

...and now here I am about to go meet the Benjamin for a birthday dinner at Naples! And we can't forget cake time later...my creation is turning out to be pretty ridiculous. More pics of that to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment