Monday, October 26, 2009

Weekend Recap and Some Suggestions

You know that oh-so-wonderous and delightful feeling of having absolutely nothing to do? The type where you crawl into bed in the middle of the day, lay your head down on the pillow and just think to yourself, wow...I am totally caught up on everything...there is nothing I need to do right now, or all day...I can just lie here without a care in the world for as long as I want...

Psych. That never happens in college, are you kidding me? But, sometimes, despite the to-do list that will exist for eternity, I still get in bed in the middle of the day, think all of the above thoughts, and pretend like they're true. This Saturday was a perfect example of one of those times. I really didn't have much to do, little enough actually to totally justify my everlasting afternoon rest, as it was direly needed. After waking up at 7 a.m. for like the 17th day in a row (literally, y'all...) to run in the Race for the Cure, I returned home, stayed vertical long enough to shower and fold laundry, and then cozied up in bed...from about 10 until about 6. Coooool. It really was though.

Then I managed to reveal myself to the world in order to share dinner with the Benjamin and then head to the Ice Chalet for some skating shenanigans with him, Nat, and our friend Will. It was crazy fun. A little cold, yes, but crazy fun. I mean I haven't laughed that hard in a really long time, and it was so wonderful to be able to let loose and be goofy. After all, anyone who can honestly take themself seriously when ice skating is...well, taking themself too seriously.

There's those silly boys trying to skate backwards...apparently "it's all in the hips" (according to the expert dude making his rounds). Telling a boy that something is "all in the hips" just results in a series of hilarious failed trials where the only accomplishment is looking quite ridiculous. Good times, though. Good times.

Now, before I go, there are two suggestions I just have to share. Firstly, for all you Knoxville folk, the Benjamin and I ate at Hard Knox Pizzeria in Western Plaza on Friday night, and it was delicious. Incredibly authentic pizza (but better than any I had in Italy) and a really relaxed local atmosphere. I was so impressed by my simple, fresh mozzerella with red sauce pizza, and the Benjamin's caramelized garlic and salami with white sauce choice was incredible as well. I will definitely be back, and hope others will give it a shot too!

Secondly, for all you It's a Wonderful Life lovers out there, I watched a movie in history class today that was very similar and almost as good. We watched American Madness, a film also by Frank Capra (the director of It's a Wonderful Life), who I'm thinking could be my new favorite film-maker...not that I've ever really considered who that would be anyway. Regardless, if you're ever in the mood for an old black and white film that will totally lift your spirits and just make you smile from ear to ear, try to get your hands on American Madness. It's basically a story similar to It's a Wonderful Life but set about a decade earlier, at the onset of the depression. I know how we love our color these days, but I'm telling you, this is one of my new favorites!

No comments:

Post a Comment